- Sponsored News - When building or renovating a home, the use of interior finishings can help create a finished and unique look . Interior finishings can include trim or moulding, wall treatments, interior doors, posts and columns, stairway systems, and ceiling treatments. Here are some tips and tricks from interior design experts at Metrie to help you choose the best interior finishings based on your style and home:
* STYLE: There are endless options when it comes to moulding profiles. It's important to consider the style of your home, both inside and out when selecting the right moulding, along with the lifestyle, personalities and design preferences of those living in the home. Metrie has a fantastic online resource at Metrie.com called Room Styler
to help guide the selection process.
* TYPE: Primary trim is used in most home installations and includes baseboard, casings and crown mouldings. They are the most functional trim elements and help set the tone of a room. Design enhancing trim such as chair rail, panel moulding and architraves add extra dimension and flair to any room. Ornamental trim, a decorative trim, helps warm up a space; corner blocks, plinth blocks, rosettes and Ikons are part of this category. To help ease the chaos of choice, Metrie has designed the Then & Now Finishing Collections
, the industry's first coordinated finishing elements consisting of moulding, trim and interior doors sized and proportioned to fit together with ease and precision.
* MATERIAL: Choose a material based on application and the finished result desired -- options can range from solid wood species, to MDF to faux wood and flexible moulding options.
* SIZE: The choice should be based largely on the ceiling height of the room. In many cases, there are complementary profiles that can be used in a home with varying ceiling heights. The size may vary, but the style should remain consistent room to room.
* APPLICATION: Trim can be used in a number of non-traditional ways, such as creating door headers, wall treatments or frames, and can be layered or built-up for a unique or custom look. Planning the design in advance can ensure that all of the necessary products are ordered at one time, reducing down time in the project.
For additional design inspiration and tips, please visit www.metrie.com
- Sponsored News - Are you thinking about planning a Florida vacation? The greater Fort Lauderdale area is among the most popular South Florida destinations. For outdoor enthusiasts, Greater Fort Lauderdale
features 23 miles of Blue Wave-certified beaches, as well as more than 300 miles of inland waterways for sightseeing. This beach resort destination offers a range of daytime and nighttime options for entertainment, shopping and dining.
The area is accessible via the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, which offers flights from all major points in the United States and Canada. In addition, the Greater Fort Lauderdale area is home to the Port Everglades cruise port, which hosts a range of luxurious and popular cruise lines on a regular basis.
An affordable package now available in Fort Lauderdale makes it even easier to plan a vacation. The "Vacation Like a VIP" package features a variety of hotel upgrades and discounts on dining, shopping and entertainment to appeal to a range of travelers.
The Vacation Like a VIP package is available at 11 Lauderdale Luxe hotels, including the Diplomat Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa, Lago Mar Resort and Club, Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort, Pelican Grand Beach Resort, Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale, Royal Blues Hotel, Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, W Fort Lauderdale and the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.
The package includes free valet parking and a room upgrade at select Lauderdale Luxe hotels, along with a $25 American Express gift card and a $100 resort credit that may be used for food and beverage, golf, spa services, pool and beach cabana fees, water activities and kids programs (where available). The package also has options for free valet parking and a "Savings Passport" at the nearby Colonnade Outlets at Sawgrass Mills, as well as a Summer Savings 2-for-1 card, valued at $200.
The Vacation Like a VIP package is available for travel between May 1 and September 30, 2016, with a minimum two-night stay. For more information, visit sunny.org/vip.
For additional information about how to make the most of your Florida vacation, contact the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau at (800) 22-SUNNY or visit www.sunny.org
. You also can get the latest information, tips and advice on Florida travel by contacting the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau via social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare and Pinterest: @visitlauderdale.
- Sponsored News - Summer brings warmer temperatures, and that means more people are enjoying the outdoors. But if you have heart failure, it's important to know that heat can also put extra stress on your heart.
is a condition that signals the heart is already working harder to provide the body with enough blood, oxygen and nutrients. Heart failure doesn't mean the heart has failed completely; however, it isn't pumping effectively enough to meet the body's demands. That's why the hot summer temperatures can be particularly dangerous for heart failure patients -- the heat forces an already stressed heart to work even harder to cool the body down. If you have a chronic heart condition like heart failure, there are simple precautions you can take to enjoy the outdoors and stay healthy.
How to Stay Heart-Healthy in the Heat
1. Drink plenty of water before spending time outdoors and take regular water breaks during any physical activity.
The Mayo Clinic recommends women drink an average of 9 cups and men 13 cups of water per day. The American Heart Association suggests avoiding alcohol and caffeinated beverages as the temperatures climb, as they can contribute to dehydration.
2. Wear light clothing and avoid the outdoors during hottest times of the day. The sun is strongest between the hours of noon and 3 p.m., so taking regular breaks in the shade will help your body avoid overheating.
3. In addition to making smarter choices while out in the hot summer temperatures, there are several other important ways that men and women with heart failure can live healthier lifestyles. One of the most important ways is to talk to your doctor about the best management strategies, which can include lifestyle changes, medications, medical devices or surgery.
In the early stages of heart failure, a doctor may suggest lifestyle changes such as a low-sodium diet and regular exercise. As the disease progresses, medications or an implanted device, such as a cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) device, may be necessary to help the heart continue beating more efficiently. CRT technology resynchronizes the lower chambers of the heart by sending uniquely programmed electrical impulses to stimulate each ventricle to beat in sync and offer optimal cardiac performance. A new technology, the CardioMEMS HF System, is designed to help physicians monitor pressures near the heart, which can increase weeks before fluid builds up and symptoms occur. This monitoring allows the doctor to proactively adjust medications to lower pressures, avoiding symptoms and possible hospitalizations. Late-stage heart failure therapy options include a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD), which is a mechanical heart pump that helps circulate blood throughout the body when the heart can't effectively work on its own.
Patients with heart failure should remember that with a few slight lifestyle adjustments, they can enjoy the summer and take advantage of the warmer weather. Patients should remember to make smart choices about how much time they spend outdoors in the heat, listen to their bodies, and stay up to date on the latest management strategies available for heart failure treatment.
For more information, visit www.heartfailureanswers.com
Brief Summary: Prior to using any St. Jude Medical device, please review the Instructions for Use for a complete listing of indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, potential adverse events and directions for use.
Indications and Usage: The CardioMEMS HF System is indicated for wirelessly measuring and monitoring pulmonary artery (PA) pressure and heart rate in New York Heart Association (NYHA) Class III heart failure patients who have been hospitalized for heart failure in the previous year. The hemodynamic data are used by physicians for heart failure management with the goal of reducing heart failure hospitalizations.
Contraindications: The CardioMEMS HF System is contraindicated for patients with an inability to take dual antiplatelet or anticoagulants for one month post implant.
Potential Adverse Events: Potential adverse events associated with the implantation procedure include, but are not limited to the following: Infection, arrhythmias, bleeding, hematoma, thrombus, myocardial infarction, transient ischemic attack, stroke, death and device embolization.
- Sponsored News - Across the country, families are taking advantage of the warmer weather by spending more quality time outdoors. This year, as families prepare to host a variety of outdoor gatherings, mosquito prevention and protecting against mosquito bites should be top of mind.
Mosquitoes transmit numerous diseases and are often described as one of the deadliest animals on the planet. This year, the Zika virus has made the mainstream news and has become a cause for public concern, especially for women who are or planning to become pregnant. As it is unknown how Zika will spread, particularly in the U.S., practicing caution is warranted.
"Proactivity and public cooperation are huge components of mosquito prevention," said Cindy Mannes, vice president of public affairs at the National Pest Management Association. "Homeowners play an important role in helping to reduce mosquito populations and can work to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds throughout the season."
Fortunately, there are several important measures the American public can take in protecting against the diseases transmitted by mosquitoes. The NPMA is urging homeowners to help in eliminate mosquito breeding grounds on their properties and practice vigilance in wearing proper attire to protect against bites:
* Remove all sources of stagnant water. Standing water can be found in areas such as gutters, buckets, flowerpots and bird baths. Mosquitoes only need 1/2 inch of standing water to breed, so it is essential to minimize these areas to reduce offspring.
* Wear an insect repellent containing DEET or another EPA-registered ingredient to help prevent mosquito bites. The NPMA, in partnership with the CDC, developed an instructional video
on how to properly apply insect repellent.
* Minimize outside activity between dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active. Also take proactive measures during the day to protect against daytime biters like the Asian tiger mosquito, the main carrier of Zika.
* When outdoors, wear long-sleeve shirts, long pants, socks and closed-toe shoes.
* When hosting guests outside, keep the air moving. Using a fan where you and your guests may lounge makes it less likely mosquitoes will land on you. These pests are not strong fliers, so circulating air can make an outside gathering more pleasant.
By following these tips and actively working to prevent mosquitoes on the home front, you will help reduce the risk of you and your family getting bitten by mosquitoes this season.
- Noticias Patrocinadas - El inicio oficial del verano ya está y los días largos y las noches ambles resultan en las excusas perfectas para invitar a tus queridos a una cena deliciosa al fresco con bebidas frías y una buena conversación. Sin importa si organizas una cena con familia dentro de la casa o si haces una barbacoa para todo el barrio, sigue las últimas tendencias para mantenerte en la moda y dentro de tus presupuestos con estos tesoros de la ropa y del hogar de JCPenney
* Celebrar con orgullo. Celebra el crisol de los estados unidos. con una fiesta fusión para el cuatro de julio. Para una transformación fácil que complementa cualquier decoración que ya está, añadir acentos del estilo americana que muestren tu lado patriótico. Viste tu sofá con cojines de barras y estrellas como un reconocimiento a la bandera estadounidense. Usa colores vibrantes como azul en sus baterías de cocina como las ollas holandesas de cinco onzas o algo rojo como el juego de sartén de cerámica antiadherente de 11 pulgadas por IMUSA para servir grandes los tamales o la barbacoa atractivamente. Y mientras estás cocinando la carne de la hamburguesa, prepara otro favorito, la tortilla, en lugar del pan en el comal por IMUSA Global Kitchen de
12 pulgadas y cubrir todo con lechuga, tomates y salsa habanero.
* Crear un paraíso tropical. Disfruta la conveniencia y la comodidad de tu propio patio para crear una isla afuera (pero todavía cera) a todo con muebles elegantes que traje todo la familia afuera. Cuando el sol pegue fuerte, piensa en el sentimiento relajado de una hamaca y prepara una tumbona solar con cubierta para disfrutar el día. Y, ningún refugio está completo sin refrescos sabrosos para los adultos y los niños, utiliza la estantería plegable con ruedas de Outdoor Oasis para mantener a mano las bebidas y los antojitos, y guárdala fácilmente al fin del día. Mientras la noche viene, mantiene el resplandor de la puesta de sol con un juego de seis luces solares para el jardín de Pure Garden.
* Poner la vida en color. Encontrar el traje perfecto para llevar por todo el día -- desde trabajo a una fiesta al fresco -- es un obstáculo a si misma. Selecciona unos estilos fáciles que llevan colores retros y mezclan con tonos más convencionales para crear un estilo moderno y ideal para el aire libre y el calor. Inspírate con las últimas tendencias de moda para la mujer, como una blusa elegante con el hombro descubierto como la de Worthingto -- es moderno y romántico con un toque de la playa. Para el hombre, un polo verde azulado con manga corta de MSX por Michael Strahan permitirá a papá estar listo para el día y preparado para cualquier actividad al mismo tiempo. Combina una blusa simple con los pantalones capris con diseño de Chevron de Xersion para las chicas, y para los chicos, combina los pantalones caqui con una camiseta estampado de Xersion para un estilo cómodo y fácil, listo para salir.
Para más información y otros estilos de inspiración para el verano, visita una tienda JCPenney o sube la pagina de web en www.jcpenney.com
- Sponsored News - Traditionally mayonnaise is thought of as something to spread on sandwiches or burgers. It turns out this creamy condiment has more uses and cooking appeal than you may have imagined.
Now, more people are realizing its health-friendly ingredients and versatility as something other than a condiment
The Association for Dressings and Sauces points to the fact that mayonnaise contains healthy oils, such as soybean and canola, which are natural sources of alpha-linolenic acid, an essential omega-3 fatty acid. In addition to important fatty acids, these oils and the eggs in mayonnaise are also sources of our daily intake of vitamin E.
Further, according to the American Heart Association, omega-3s work to reduce blood pressure and improve overall heart health.
More than just a sandwich spread, here are some other ways to use mayonnaise.
* Use in baking. Mayonnaise contains eggs and oil, which help produce more moist cakes and cookies. Mayonnaise adds a moist texture and rich flavor to baked goods, and it's a worthy substitute when you're out of eggs.
* Use for grilling. You can brush it on while grilling fish, chicken or corn on the cob.
* Use in cold salads. Mayonnaise is the base of egg salad, potato salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, pasta salad and coleslaw.
* Use to make sauces. Why not try your hand at making a homemade tartar sauce for your fish?
* Spice it up. Try adding some herbs to your mayo to give a pop to your sandwich by adding extras such as curry powder, gherkins, capers, or any other spices that strike your fancy.
For more information, please visit www.dressings-sauces.org
- Sponsored News - She's not just "daddy's little girl" anymore. And this Father's Day, it turns out that both millennial daughters and their Boomer dads could profit by sharing financial advice with each other. Many of those dads, according to Fidelity Investments' Retirement Savings Assessment, could pass on a thing or two about what to do with a windfall (20 percent of boomer males, compared to just 8 percent of millennial women, would invest it in a diversified portfolio to grow their money). Those same daughters, on the other hand, are savvier when it comes to things like using online budgeting aids (67 percent vs. 38 percent). See full-sized image here.
- Sponsored News - "Go for the Gold" will be the mantra echoed around the globe as the Games of the XXXI Olympiad, or the 2016 Summer Olympics, as we refer to them here in the U.S, gets underway this summer. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, will play host to a record number of countries participating in a record number of sports. More than 10,500 athletes from 207 countries will "go for the gold," looking to make World Records and beat their personal best along the way.
Swimming, fencing, football (aka soccer): 2016 will see a total of 42 Olympic sports categories including one of the most popular and traditional, athletics, which includes running, jumping and throwing. Athletics has been a part of the games since Athens 1896. Today, no other Olympic sport offers more medals: 141 total.
There are many ways people will be going for the gold this summer -- some with mobile devices. Talking Tom, legendary apps athlete and star of the hit animated series on is looking to break records this summer with the XXIII app release in the Talking Tom franchise, Talking Tom Gold Run
. This new release from Outfit7 breaks new ground as one of the first infinite runner games that immerses players into the action with an actual reason to run.
Talking Tom Gold Run begins with a robbery, causing the player to run as fast as possible to retrieve their stolen gold, dodge obstacles and collect rewards. The game allows players to get back their gold bars to help Tom and Friends build their dream homes from the ground up. Fans have a total of seven worlds to unlock, including the city, woods, beach and more. As each character's houses are built, new home upgrades, characters and running segments appear.
Outfit7, Limited -- makers of the Talking Tom franchise is also breaking a major digital record this summer, crossing the 4.5 billion download mark across its series of family-friendly apps. That's right, 4.5 billion, with a "B." That's over half of the entire world's population (according to the U.S. census, the worldwide population is over 7.3 billion and counting), and more than those who watch the Summer and Winter Olympics combined.
Since the first Talking Talking Tom and Friends app launched over five years ago, the suite of apps has skyrocketed in popularity worldwide. The franchise has also amassed over 5.7 billion views of its various branded content on YouTube. In addition, "Talking Tom and Friends: The Animated Series," currently in its first season, has cemented a rock-solid audience with over 760 million-plus views alone on YouTube and the YouTube Kids app. The series airs weekly and features an all-star voice cast led by Golden Globe and Emmy nominee Colin Hanks ("Fargo") and Tom Kenny ("SpongeBob SquarePants").
Whether you are one of the 480,000 tourists attending Rio 2016, the 1 billion fans watching the games on TV or 4.5 billion people playing Talking Tom and Friends apps, download the new Talking Tom Gold Run app and go for the gold today! Available for iOS, and Android Windows and Amazon.
- Sponsored News - At bedtime, it's common for parents to sweetly send their children off to sleep by saying, "Sleep tight -- don't let the bed bugs bite!" But could you imagine the reaction if that was said to vacationers by hotel staff? People wouldn't be able to check out fast enough. Unfortunately, travelers will never be given such a clear warning about bed bugs in real life, but there are steps they can take to prevent an encounter while enjoying a trip away from home.
Bed bugs, which feed on human blood and often leave behind red, itchy welts, continue to be a major concern, especially as travel season heats up and incidents rise. In fact, a recent study conducted by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA)
and the University of Kentucky found that 99.6 percent of pest control companies treated for bed bugs in the year prior. Pest control companies also reported treating for infestations in a variety of locations, including five-star hotels, retail stores, single-family homes, apartments, movie theaters, hospitals, schools and even on public transportation.
These biting pests are seemingly found everywhere, and no one wants to cuddle up with them in a hotel room, or worse, bring them back home. So, what can you do to avoid bed bugs while traveling? Use this helpful advice from NPMA:
* Upon check-in, inspect the entire room before unpacking. Use a flashlight to search behind the headboard and in the crevices of furniture, looking for the bugs themselves or shed skins. Pull back bed sheets and check mattress seams and box springs for pepper-like stains that may be evidence of bed bug activity.
* If you suspect an infestation, notify management and change rooms immediately. Be sure the new room is not adjacent to or directly below or above the possibly infested room.
* Keep suitcases off the beds and in plastic bags or protective covers to prevent the bugs from latching onto luggage.
* Once back home, inspect all belongings before bringing them into the house.
* Wash all clothes in hot water and dry on an extra-hot dryer setting.
* If you are concerned that you brought bed bugs home, contact a professional pest control company to thoroughly inspect the property and if needed, offer guidance on treatment options.
Bed bugs are hardy and stealthy hitchhikers, so it is essential that travelers practice caution during and after trips. For more bed bug advice, please visit: http://www.pestworld.org/all-things-bed-bugs/
- Sponsored News - According to the Galen Institute, as of January, more than 70 significant changes have been made to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) since April 2010. These changes range from small clarifications to major shifts. One change that continues to prompt questions from employers and benefits professionals is the pending Cadillac tax, a 40 percent excise tax on high-cost health benefit plans provided by businesses.
wants to provide a few facts to keep in mind to ensure that you are armed with accurate information about the Cadillac tax and to help guide you through decisions regarding future benefit offerings.
* The Cadillac tax has been delayed until 2020: Originally slated to be effective in 2018, the Cadillac tax will now be effective in 2020. This means that employers do not need to make any changes to their benefits offerings in anticipation of the tax because it is several years away and regulations may evolve.
* Voluntary insurance products do not count towards the Cadillac tax calculation: Voluntary insurance products are defined as "excepted benefits," which are excluded from most of the ACA's market reforms. This means that if companies offer supplemental life, dental or accident policies, you are safeguarded against any taxes being imposed.
* Employees are not responsible for paying the tax: Because the tax is based on an employee's total benefits package, employers are currently responsible for calculating the tax and reporting each benefits administrator's portion of the tax to the IRS.
Although 2020 may seem far off, now's the time to become educated about future healthcare coverage options in order to be armed with the knowledge of making good benefits decisions. For more information about the Affordable Care Act and the Cadillac tax, visit aflac.com.