- Sponsored News - If you are like most families, the stress of having kids and maintaining hectic schedules, can heat up the happiest of households in no time -- especially when it comes to trying to decide what to have for dinner.
However, with a little planning and some cooperation, even the busiest family can find time to sit down and enjoy a meal together.
The following tips will give you an idea of how you can streamline the dinner process, while squeezing in some much-needed family time:
* Get the whole household involved. Not only on chores like washing and drying dishes, but on tasting and choosing the menus.
* Schedule a mock cooking class. If you want to get family members involved, make time on a weekend for a prepping and cooking session, where everyone can share knife skills, recipes, and other culinary lessons.
* Do a taste test. Let's face it, every family has that one member who's finicky. To combat that, have them weigh in for taste tests. This way, you can plan to cook that dish in bulk.
* Strive for leftovers. Whoever is cooking can make extra of anything that's a hit with family members and store leftovers in the fridge or freezer. Two roasted chickens (instead of one) are great for hot or cold sandwiches, soup, salad, and great filler for fajitas or burritos.
To help you get started, the maker of Minute Rice
is giving out this one-stop shopping, anyone-can-make recipe:
15 Minute Chicken and Rice Dinner
1 tablespoon oil
4 small, boneless, skinless
chicken breast halves
1 can condensed cream of
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups Minute White Rice,
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cover. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned on both sides. Remove chicken from skillet.
Add soup, water, and chicken broth to skillet; stir. Bring to boil.
Stir in rice, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Top with chicken; cover. Cook on low heat 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (170 degrees). Let sit 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired.
Substitute: For a whole-grain alternative, use Minute Brown Rice for the Minute White Rice and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings.
For more information, please visit www.minuterice.com
- Sponsored News - Everyone deserves to have a smile that expresses self-confidence and inner beauty. Unfortunately, too many people are insecure about their smile when the sources of their unhappiness can easily be fixed. Turns out, with some simple, cost-effective, and painless cosmetic dentistry, you can dazzle the world with your smile.
Three of the biggest smile inhibitors are yellowing or discolored teeth, crooked teeth, and gaps. Each of these issues can be addressed by an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
member dentist to give you the results you've dreamed of.
There are a number of reasons why teeth become discolored over time from internal causes to external factors. So, it just makes sense that there are a variety of ways to deal with whitening, from simple do-it-yourself products to more extensive in-office treatments. While a prescription is not needed for the over-the-counter home remedies, it is a good idea to discuss them with your AACD dentist. In-office remedies are typically more effective and better for people with sensitivity issues because the rest of the mouth can be protected.
While most people instantly picture teens in braces when they think of straightening crooked teeth, there are options for adults that are much more subtle than the full-metal braces of the past. Short-term orthodontics can include invisible braces that are placed behind the teeth and which can be a faster alternative to traditional braces; clear aligner therapy -- such as Invisalign -- a well-known "nearly invisible" treatment that uses trays to gradually create change; and more. With strict compliance, these solutions can create straighter teeth.
Some gaps between teeth (diastema) can be fixed with the traditional metal braces or other short-term options mentioned above. But there are other methods of fixing gaps that can work almost instantly to give you a smile that you'll want to share. Bonding fills in the space by using a resin, and dental veneers use ceramic or porcelain to subtly widen the teeth to diminish the gap. If your gap is due to missing teeth or dental implants, a bridge or partial dentures can restore the healthy appearance you once had.
Talk to an AACD member dentist to find out which treatment(s) are best suited to tackling your smile-inhibitors and take your smile from blah to brilliant.
For more information on any of these procedures and to locate an AACD member dentist near you, visit www.YourSmileBecomesYou.com
- Noticias patrocinadas - Con el Mes de la Herencia Hispana en marcha, los latinos están recibiendo el muy merecido reconocimiento público por su contribución al crecimiento cultural de Estados Unidos. De acuerdo con White House Initiative on Education Excellence and Hispanics, en la actualidad hay más de 54 millones de latinos en EE.UU., y se espera que las latinas representen un tercio de la población femenina del país en 2060. Por esta razón, no debe sorprender que figuras latinas hayan acaparado la atención en los campos de la política, los deportes y el entretenimiento. En el mundo de la moda, las latinas se están posicionando a la cabeza y están resaltando sobre el resto. Este es el caso de la diseñadora y ganadora de la temporada 14 del Project Runway de invierno , Ashley Nell Tipton.
Hija de madre mexicana y padre californiano, Tipton es firme defensora de la importancia de apoyar a todas las personas, sin importar su raza, género o tamaño. Esta motivación, en conjunción con su objetivo de desafiar las reglas de la moda de tallas grandes, es lo que ha llevado a Ashley Nell Tipton a crear Boutique , su primera colección de tallas grandes disponible exclusivamente en JCPenney
. Inspirada en la ropa de los 50 y con un toque vanguardista y alegre, esta colección se suma a la colección Boutique de JCPenney, ya disponible en tiendas y en la página web.
"Hay una enorme cantidad de mujeres de talla grande que está buscando opciones de moda que se adecúen mejor a sus estilos de vida, presupuestos y, lo más importante, a sus cuerpos. Con el respaldo de JCPenney, tengo la oportunidad de ofrecer a estas mujeres el glamour, el color, la diversión y el estilo que quieren, para que a su vez se sientan bien", dice Tipton. "La meta es que mujeres de todas partes puedan sentirse cómodas y seguras cuando elijan una falda tubo o un top atrevido con colores vivos. Se trata de crear una imagen que una ame y con la que una pueda expresarse con libertad. Cuando las prendas que las mujeres quieren y necesitan no están disponibles, es difícil conseguir el look deseado".
Junto a JCPenney, Tipton está desafiando los límites del estilo para las mujeres de talla grande en todo EE. UU.,y está difundiendo el mensaje de que todo cuerpo es bello y debe celebrarse. Con el debut de su colección y el lanzamiento de una serie documental de tres partes llamada #HereIAm, Tipton quiere dar más poder a las mujeres de todas las tallas para que se amen y se desafíen a sí mismas para alcanzar su máximo potencial sin complejos y con estilo. Tipton es una clara defensora del movimiento por una imagen corporal positiva en una industria que a menudo se adhiere a estándares que no son representativos de la mayoría de las mujeres estadounidenses.
Para saber más acerca de Ashley Nell Tipton y la colección Boutique de Ashley Nell Tipton, visite JCPenney.com.
- Sponsored News - Patient safety and infection control are key concerns among dental professionals who go to great lengths to ensure that the care they provide their patients is as effective as it is safe. With good cause, too, since research indicates that while rare, cross-infection from one patient to the next does still occur.
According to experts, most dental offices properly sterilize their equipment in between patients, but infection-control practices do vary, and one crucial piece of equipment has continued to cause concern: the saliva-ejection valves that come into use dozens of times a day during patient treatments. These valves can be covered with millions of pathogens, including blood proteins that travel through high- and low-volume suction tips, and aerosolized saliva, although not evident to the naked eye, that coats nearby surfaces and equipment. All of this bio-burden has the potential to infect each patient that comes in contact with the valve, and you, as the consumer, have little chance of knowing whether your dentist has properly sterilized the valve in between patients. However, that doesn't mean you can't have some level of control. The following checklist may help alleviate concerns during your next dental visit:
* Watch the gloves. Does your dentist get gloves out of a dispenser or an unsterilized countertop? What does your dentist touch with the gloves? Do they throw the gloves away in front of you?
* Check out the office. A clean and tidy office means a greater chance for optimal infection control, because more mess makes it more difficult to sterilize countertops, surfaces and equipment.
* Ask questions and understand how risks can be avoided. One often overlooked area of concern rests with backflow, which is connected to the saliva-evacuation straw or tip that is used to remove saliva and other fluids from your mouth during dental procedures. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 5 people who close their lips around the straw may experience backflow, or a decrease in the vacuum-line pressure that may allow previously evacuated fluid to flow backward into a patient's mouth, potentially exposing them to germs left behind by the previous patient. However, St. Louis-based Stoma Dental
may have the answer in the form of a new disposable saliva-ejector valve. The DOVE Backflow Prevention Valve is a one-way valve that prevents backflow and eliminates this possibility of cross-contamination. This new valve allows only for one-way flow or suction, and an internal flap prevents any opportunity for backflow. Because these new valves are disposable, they also can be easily replaced in between patients, alleviating concerns about germs that may land on their surface.
For more information, please visit www.besafedental.com
- Up to half of all cystic fibrosis patients have fungal infections in their lungs caused by a spore-forming mold named Aspergillus fumigatus. Many of those patients, particularly children and young adults, will develop an allergic reaction to the fungus, Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA), according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Coughing, wheezing and other symptoms can be severe.
Current treatments are oral drugs, including itraconazole. The problem is that high doses are needed to get enough of the drug to the lungs. That causes severe side effects that must be managed and monitored -- including liver toxicity.
A more promising strategy is to deliver the itraconazole directly to the lungs by breathing it in. That's the approach taken by Lexington, Mass-based pharmaceutical company Pulmatrix, Inc. (NASDAQ: PULM). Pulmatrix's innovation was creating small, dense particles that can be easily inhaled, and combining them with drugs such as itraconazole.
"We've urgently needed a way to deliver antifungal drugs directly to the lungs," says Stanford University cystic fibrosis expert Richard Moss M.D.
"Pulmatrix's PUR1900, using the inhaled dry particle technology, meets that need. It could offer major benefits to cystic fibrosis patients with fungal infections in their lungs."
That's why the U.S. Food & Drug Administration has granted the company's request for orphan drug status for PUR1900, explaining that the designation "is based on a plausible hypothesis that [the] drug may be clinically superior to the same drug that is already approved."
While PUR1900 has the potential to improve the lives of cystic fibrosis patients, especially children and young adults, it also could bring significant revenues for Pulmatrix. The estimated cystic fibrosis market alone is tens of thousands of patients a year, and the drug could also find much larger markets treating millions of other pulmonary fungal infections and other immunocompromised patients, making Pulmatrix a strong investment opportunity.
For more information on PUR1900, go to ir.pulmatrix.com
and watch the video on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8RgU8YUtjo
- Sponsored News -
Patients with medical prescriptions who fail to fill or take their medication properly can have serious health implications. According to a survey from the American Medical Association, approximately 25 percent of new prescriptions are not filled, and approximately half of patients don't take their medicines.
People cite several reasons why they don't fill their prescriptions or take their medication. Mail-order pharmacies, such as the service available from Humana
, are one way to address this problem. Another study conducted by The American Journal of Managed Care, showed that patients who used a mail-delivery pharmacy were more likely to follow their treatment plan than those who did not.
A mail-delivery pharmacy has many benefits, including 90-day prescriptions, which help to reduce the frequency of refills. This option is especially beneficial for those with chronic conditions who might be taking multiple medications.
A 90-day prescription fill is often more cost-effective than a typical one-month supply.
Another benefit of mail-order pharmacies is convenience. The medication can be delivered to a home or office, which is convenient for those with busy work schedules or who are unable to visit a pharmacy for other reasons. Most new prescriptions arrive in 1 to 2 weeks, and refills take 5 to 7 days. Medicine and supplies are delivered in unmarked, heat-safe, tamper-resistant packaging with free standard shipping.
"Mail-delivery pharmacy is a win-win solution for people who lead busy lives and want to follow their doctor's treatment plan, especially for people who need simplicity in how they purchase their prescriptions," says William Fleming, president of Humana Pharmacy Solutions. "Studies have shown that more than half of consumers buy items online. Mail-delivery pharmacy is a method of purchasing prescriptions that aligns with how they live their lives."
"By simplifying their lives, we are able to improve affordability and access to medications which should yield better health outcomes," he adds.
Many mail-delivery pharmacy providers also provide additional benefits, such as online ordering and mobile apps that allow users to order refills, track shipments, and receive medication reminders.
As for safety concerns, mail delivery orders are checked by a pharmacist before shipment, and data suggest that mail-delivery pharmacies such as Humana Pharmacy are approximately 23 times more accurate than retail pharmacies. Patients also have the opportunity to consult a pharmacy team from the privacy of their own homes.
For more information and details about how to use a mail-order pharmacy, please visit www.humanapharmacy.com
- Sponsored News - Growing up in the digital age, most millennials (adults ages 18 to 36) have grown dependent on using technology to educate themselves about everything from current fashion trends to the latest rankings for their favorite football team. However, one important aspect of life that can't be as easily explained by a smartphone is health care. Since having comprehensive benefits is a major workplace perk, it's important that millennials understand key insurance terms so they can make the best health care decisions. Learn more at aflac.com.
See full-sized image here.
- Sponsored News - Ensure that your holiday lighting dreams come true with brightly lit bulbs on your trees, wreaths and other holiday decorations. Plan ahead to save time, reduce aggravation, and eliminate disappointment.
"Test Your Lights" Tuesday begins November 22 and runs every Tuesday through Christmas. Mark your calendar to plug in your holiday lights. And make sure they meet the "merry and bright" standard.
"There's nothing more frustrating than gathering the family to decorate the tree or house only to find some of your light sets don't work," says John DeCosmo, CEO of Ulta-Lit Technologies, maker of the LightKeeper Pro, a one-of-a-kind tool that not only finds the bad bulb on a string of lights but also illuminates the rest of the working bulbs.
"With just a few pulls of the trigger, you can reclaim your special family moment and become the hero who saves Christmas," DeCosmo says.
At $19.99, the LightKeeper Pro is both economical and eco-friendly. In many, many instances, users save money by reducing the need to replace an entire string of lights simply because of a couple of bad bulbs. Old sets of lights don't need to end up in a landfill.
Ask for help -- at no charge: Should your holiday lights darken, Ulta-Lit's lighting pros answer questions every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas at (888) 858-2548. To better assist they also take calls year-round during standard business hours. Or, refer to the Ulta-Lit website at Ulta-Lit
With over 100 years of experience with light sets, here are some tips from the pros:
* Measure: Using your two hands, touch your pointer fingertip to your other pointer fingertip. Then take your thumb tip to your other thumb tip. Bring all four tips together to create a maximum 1/8" diamond. While standing no less than 10 feet away from your lit tree, peek through that diamond and scan the tree from side to side, top to bottom. This will assist in finding dark spots where you may want to add more lights for a fully lit tree.
* Quality vs. price: Commercial-grade light sets are more reliable for outdoor use because of their durability and thicker insulation.
* Decide on LED vs. incandescent: LEDs are more expensive than incandescent lights, but they last longer. The use of a tree with 1,000 incandescent bulbs can cost $10 over an average holiday season, while the same tree with LEDs would cost approximately $1.50.
* Replace and repair: If you notice one or two unlit bulbs within a section that is primarily operating properly, replace those bulbs ASAP. Two burned-out bulbs can decrease the lifespan of the light set by 39 percent, four burned-out bulbs by 67 percent.
- Sponsored News -
It's that time of year when the weather turns crisp, colors brighten, and there are a dwindling number of perfect days left to relax outside or take one more drive, ride, or trip to the lake.
Too soon, it will be time to put away your classic car, boat, motorcycle, and patio furniture, until warm weather arrives again.
Proper storage techniques are super important to keep your gear in great shape and running order. To make sure you are ready to roll next spring, we've compiled a list of simple storage tips:
* Storing your classic car or motorcycle. It's important to clean and remove all road grime, dust and other debris from all interior and exterior surfaces before storing. Then, after cleaning, make sure to protect hard surfaces and finished leather with 303 Automotive Protectant. Also, remember that old gas breaks down over time and can lead to gummed-up fuel lines, carburetors and injectors. To avoid these issues, fill your fuel tank 95 percent full with fresh gas and add a quality fuel stabilizer such as STA-BIL Storage
to keep the gas fresh for as long as 24 months. After the stabilizer is added, run the engine for a few minutes to ensure that the stabilizer gets into all parts of the fuel system.
* Storing your boat and water equipment. It's best to do a thorough cleaning of your boat to avoid any deterioration while it sits in storage. Start by removing all the dirt and grime from the boat's surfaces with a cleaner such as 303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser, and protect the exterior of the boat with 303 Marine Quick Wax. Moving to the inside, similarly to the classic car, fill the gas tank 95 percent full with fresh fuel and add a fuel stabilizer. Store your boat in a cool, dry place and cover it to keep dust away.
* Storing your small engine equipment. Most fuel available today contains ethanol, and ethanol can wreak havoc on small engines if they're not treated before storage. Over time, the water and ethanol will separate and sink to the bottom of the fuel tank, leading to corrosion, stalling and engine damage. To make sure your engines start up come spring, fill your tank with fresh fuel and add a stabilizer to the tank. It's also a good idea to store your small engine equipment indoors to protect it from the elements.
* Storing your patio furniture. Before putting your outdoor oasis away, make sure to wash or brush off any loose debris. Remove surface stains with a cleaner such as 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner and make sure to protect your cushions from future spills and spots with a product such as 303 Fabric Guard. Make sure to apply it in a well ventilated area and let it dry before storage. Finally, protect the hard surfaces of your furniture with 303 Protectant to repel dust and prevent fading and cracking.
For more information, visit www.sta-bil.com
- Sponsored News - Raising capital to start a new business is not as easy as setting up a lemonade stand or selling Girl Scout cookies. A primary reason for the failure of start-ups is a lack of funding. There are plenty of great products and ideas that have never come close to making it to the public.
Without American entrepreneurship, and the drive to just go for it, we would not have Apple, Google, Facebook, Starbucks, or countless other companies that are a part of our everyday lives.
Here are five ways to generate capital for your business in today's economy:
1. Friends and Family. A tried and true methodology, this has been a staple of start-up funding for hundreds of years. It is however, not without its risks, as a failed business could lead to strained relationships. or even the end of relationships.
2. SBA Express. The Small Business Association provides several avenues for borrowing money. SBA Express allows bank-qualified business owners to borrow up to $150,000 without filing the typical SBA loan application. Plus, owners will receive a loan decision within 36 hours.
3. Community banks. Community banks actually have the capacity to be flexible with lending terms whereas large corporate banks do not. Find local lenders by reaching out to the Independent Bankers Association of America, which has access to 5,000 community banks.
4. Crowdfunding. Crowdfunding networks like Kickstarter and Indiegogo have raised some serious cash from individual investors. If you have an innovative idea or project, develop a reasonable funding goal and timeline and see which investors support you and pledge funding. Remember, projects must meet their funding goals before the time runs out, or else no actual money is received. Also, be aware that a percentage of the money raised will be kept by the crowdfunding site as part of their fees.
. DPOUSA is an online financial platform providing client companies the opportunity to have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year visibility of a direct public offering to a growing base of over 33,000 accredited investors and institutions representing over $500 billion in available capital. Unique to DPOUSA is the DPOUSA Special Council, a diverse cross-section of 50 professionals from various industries available to assist DPOUSA client companies. Visit www.DPOUSA.com
for more information.
Whatever the state of the economy, there will be those willing to invest in new businesses. New businesses create jobs, and power growth. There are sources to help with capital. So, once you find the sources, be ready with a great plan to show what you are going to do with the capital, and how the investor will benefit.